Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Recipe for the holiday season: Butternut squash soup

I saw a box of butternut squash soup in the store the other day and it called my name. Not being a fan of things that come in packages, I decided to make it myself. I decided to figure it out without internet research, but based on what I'd put in a butternut squash soup if told I needed to make it from scratch without direction, and this is the result (slightly tweaked). I think it's quite yummy if I do say so myself.

It's great for this season, and really quite easy. The hardest part is chopping up the squash. Let me know what you think!

Ingredients:

  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp chopped ginger, minced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tbsp cultured butter (can substitute with 2 tbsp coconut oil if dairy restrictions)
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in 1/2 “ squares
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 32oz chicken stock (preferably homemade) (can replace with vegetable stock if vegetarian)
  • 1 tsp raw honey (can substitute agave)
  • add salt and pepper to taste
Saute the onion in butter for 2-3 minutes on medium temperature. Add garlic and ginger, stir to mix and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add squash. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and honey, and stir well to mix. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to minimum and cook until squash is tender (about 20 minutes).
Puree with a handblender and eat!

1 comment: