Friday, November 20, 2009

A sacred space to honour our bodies

When was the last time you took a few minutes to really appreciate your body? To feel good in your skin and thank all the processes that happen without you having to think about them or do anything about them? (like breathe or circulate blood or digest your food – just to name a few) When was the last time you took a moment to appreciate your body as the magnificent being that it is? Really… when you think about it, it’s miraculous what is happening inside of us at every single moment.

So often we look at our bodies with disdain and sometimes even disgust. “These jeans make me look fat” or “I wish I had better hair” or “will this skirt hide my ass?” How loving is that? This continual nitpicking and negative self-talk about our bodies only serves to keep us unhappy and dissatisfied with ourselves. And ultimately, it keeps the true health and vitality we seek just out of reach.

Believe me, I know of what I speak. I started studying classical dance when I was very young, and by the age of 10 could list off all the things that were “wrong” with my body. I would spend literally hours scrutinizing myself in the mirror, dissecting all that wasn’t absolutely “perfect” by some totally unachievable standard. By my teens, my list of body flaws was pages long. Even now, when I “should know better”, I struggle sometimes when I look in the mirror.


Recently I’ve been doing more work with clients on reframing this relationship with our bodies. How can we take some time to love and cherish these beautiful and incredible physiques we live and move in?


Here are three ways you can create sacred space to honor your body and thank it for all it’s doing for you every day:

  1. Soak your feet in a tub of hot water with lavender essential oil and Epsom salts at the end of the day. It’s a beautiful and soothing way to ground yourself, to take a few quiet minutes before you go to bed to get into your body, and to warm up cold toes in the winter months.
  2. Light some candles, pull out the yoga mat, and do some nice slow stretches and gentle, calming yoga poses like child’s pose before bed. This is a time to take some deep breaths, to calm yourself, and to quietly acknowledge what your body has been doing for you all day long.
  3. Fill the bathroom sink with hot water and, using a washcloth or small hand towel, give yourself a hot towel scrub. Just dip the washcloth in the hot water, wring it out, and scrub your skin lightly until it’s a little pink and warm. You don’t need soap or oils, just use hot water. Light some candles to create some ritual around the experience. Wash yourself with the same love and care as you would your own child.
How will you honor your body this weekend? Will you join me and set aside some time – even just a few minutes – each day to really love and appreciate your body? Let me know what works for you! Every person is different and you’ll find a way and a practice that fits into your life and schedule. It only takes a few minutes, and you’ll be surprised at how powerful it can be in changing the way you look at yourself in the mirror.

3 comments:

  1. This is very powerful!!! Thank you for offering your vision to recover the sacredness of our bodies. I am writing an article on the bathroom as sacred space and will post it on my site soon. Congrats! I am an artist, designer and feng shui consultant and lover of all things sacred.
    Marjory
    http://www.lotusflow.com
    http://www.lotusflowart.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These things are sorely lacking from my schedule. Thank you for helping us to reframe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marjory & Peirson - thank you both so much for your comments. Marjory, I'm keen to read your article on the bathroom as a sacred space. I agree wholeheartedly. Thank you for sharing!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete